One of my favorite meals is a good chopped salad – I make a big batch every Sunday and bring them to work for the week, then usually make them on the weekend. You may ask, how do I not get bored? And I’ll ask you, what makes customized salad shops like like sweetgreen, Chop’t, and Just Salad so good? It’s all the stuff that comes in it! I don’t get bored because I switch up my proteins, dressings & mix-ins CONSTANTLY!
Here’s one salad I had this weekend, hopefully it’ll inspire you to try your own! Select a few things from each group below, mix them together, and voila – you’ve got a beautiful delicious meal!
- Greens: romaine, kale, arugula, spinach, spring mix
- Vegetable Mix-Ins (diced): red bell pepper, onion, carrots, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, radishes, snap peas, cucumber, celery
- Fat Mix-Ins (I usually pick 1-2): cheese, olive oil, olives, avocado
- Protein Mix-Ins (I usually pick 1): hard boiled eggs, turkey, chicken breast, shrimp, rotisserie chicken, canned tuna, salmon, roasted tofu
- Carb Mix-Ins (optional): farro, quinoa, rice, lentils, sweet potato, beans
- Dressing: sugar free dressing, fresh lemon juice, oil, S&P
- Add your greens to the bottom of the bowl add as a base
- Chop all of the veggies, fat & protein sources you want to use – toss in greens
- Top with 2 tbsp dressing and toss the salad until everything is evenly distributed
MEAL PREP TIP:
- If you’re meal prepping, layer your salad. Greens on bottom, then veggies. I also pack my protein and fat source in a different, small tupperware (like this) so it doesn’t ruin the veggies.
- Keep your dressing at the office