With summer approaching, so does a different routine. Bye-bye to heavy sweaters, boots, hot coffee, or needing to convince myself to brace for the cold weather. Hello to sun, the beach, shorts, tan skin and yummy drinks!
I don’t have any crazy out-of-this-world trips this summer, I really like to hang back and explore New York from June-August and do this that take me out of my comfort zone. I’m hoping this summer I’ll learn how to paddle board, run 4 miles straight, visit a local wine bar, go to a concert in Central Park, and go over to Brooklyn!
Outside of all of these adventures, there are a few things I rely on to make my summer days & nights easier. Here are my Summer 2017 Essentials!
- Light, Flowy Dresses: Probably my #1 summer necessity. 90% of the time I am wearing a cotton dress in the summer from Old Navy or Loft. They’re comfortable, light, can go from day-to-night, and are super cute. Since I am in the city and a commuter (you ladies know the struggle of walking up stairs with the feeling in the pit of your stomach of how many people can see my booty right now? And that’s why I get longer dresses, midis, and maxis. How To Wear: Get printed or solid dress, pair with a denim jacket, bomber jacket third piece and a statement necklace or hoop earrings.
- White Sneakers: I wear these White Converse EVERYWHERE. I think half of my Instagram pics from the last year shows me rocking these. So comfortable, so chic. How To Wear: Pair with jeans, cotton dresses, A-Line midi skirts with a tucked in tank, or leggings.
- Frayed Jeans: I feel like these are the new skinny jeans, they add a nice pop to any outfit. I picked up two pairs from H&M and Loft in white and a light blue. How To Wear: pair with a tucked in tee, statement belt, mules, fashion sneakers, or sandals.
- Dry Shampoo: Not Your Mother’s, the only brand I have used that doesn’t leave some weird residue on my scalp.
- Face Masks: I love Eva Chen (ex-Editor in Chief of Lucky Mag, Boss Lady, Champion Working Mom, and basically my hero) recommenced Shea Moisture products (FTW – they’re sold at drugstores). I got their African Black Soap Problem Skin Face Mask and I love it. Be warned, it doesn’t dry like a clay mask. I take it off with a paper towel and warm water.
- Summer Makeup Routine: My makeup routine in the summer goes like this, quick & simple: Bobbi Brown BB Cream in Medium, tiny touch of NYX HD Photogenic concealer, Milani Bronzer XL & Milani Baked Blush. Done & Done.
- Unsweetened Mojitos: Basically the best summer drink without the sugar rush & hangover. How to order: “Mojito, no simple syrup – just white rum, lime juice, soda water, and mint.”
- Summer Salads: I take my lunches to work, usually a salad with some protein. But in the summer, I like to spruce it up with summery, brightly colored ingredients: snap peas, strawberries, beets, leftover grilled veggies, oranges, and black sesame seeds
- Rooftop Bars: Rooftops are popping up everywhere these days and gone are the old school rooftops where you’re burning up. Now they’re air conditioned, have comfortable couches to sit on and amazing happy hour deals